WHAT IS CLUBES DE CIENCIA PARAGUAY (CdeC PARAGUAY)?
Clubes de Ciencia Paraguay is a non-profit initiative which aims to bring to Paraguay intensive one-week science workshops (clubs), focused on developing technical and cognitive skills in issues of national and global relevance. The courses are led by research scientists from worldwide leading institutions , and they are meant to encourage high school and undergraduate students to pursue a career in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). The mission is to expand access to high quality science education to youth in Paraguay and inspire the future generation of scientists by giving them access to an international network of mentors engaged in scientific research.
We are part of a larger organization called Clubes de Ciencia Latin America.
I AM PARAGUAYAN STUDYING/WORKING OUTSIDE PARAGUAY. CAN I APPLY AS AN INSTRUCTOR?
Yes! Please, apply. We encourage applications from PARAGUAYANS around the world.
WHAT IS THE WEEK OF “CLUBES DE CIENCIA”?
It’s an intensive one-week event with hands-on immersion workshops with cutting edge scientific activities and networking opportunities.
Day 1: Opening activity for instructors
Day 2: Opening in the morning, and Science Clubs on the afternoon.
Day 3-5: Science Clubs (7 hours) full of activities
Day 6: Final presentation in which students for each club will present their work to the other participants.
WHAT IS A “CLUB”?
A “Club” is an applied, intensive course, aimed at high school and undergraduate students (16 to 22 years old). CdeC Paraguay pairs a foreign-based instructor and a Paraguay-based instructor to design and implement a club. If you happen to be selected as an instructor, we invite you to collaborate and take advantage of such a cultural experience!
WHAT DOES AN INSTRUCTOR DO?
- Introduces students to a plethora of cutting edge scientific topics by implementing a combination of experimental, computational and theoretical activities. It is through this model that we reinforce the students’ aptitude for critical thinking, while at the same time, engaging them to a collaborative environment to strengthen their communication skills.
- Develops communication and teaching skills in a different cultural context by interacting with other young scientists, students, and university hosts in Paraguay.
- Generates a strong impact on emerging talent and creates camaraderie bonds for a lifetime. Through your knowledge, experiences and passion in your field of study, a student learns not only from your technical or scientific background, but also makes his scientific pursuit a lot more tangible by looking up to you as a mentor.
DO I HAVE TO DESIGN A CLUB TO BECOME AN INSTRUCTOR?
All CdeCParaguay instructors design and implement a Club!
We have 3 modalities of participation:
- Involvement 50/50 with another Paraguayan instructor so both work to develop the same Club.
- One instructor designs the Club and the other one helps in the implemention, group management and team dynamics.
- Implementation of a Club that has been designed by expert collaborators such as Frank Wilczek (Nobel Prize in Physics 2004) or Research Professors in various areas (ex. Alejandro Sánchez Alvarado, Stowers Institute, HHMI) – We will contact you if we think your background/club aligns to one of our pre-designed Clubs.
HOW CAN I DEVELOP A CLUB PROPOSAL?
We suggest you to design your Club proposal based on the idea: “learning by doing”. And by that we mean that the Club should be a very practical course where students have the opportunity to participate to the maximum, doing experiments, programming and solving problems that allow them to approach the day to day of a scientist. Keep in mind that these activities should be developed during a 3 and a half days, 7-8 hours per day. If there is a Sunday in the middle of the Clubes de Ciencia week, you can assigned homework. There is an opening activity for instructors 1 day prior to launching CdeCParaguay week, and a student symposium by the end where students present their results.
For CdeCParaguay, a competitive Club is one that helps students to develop their scientific skills and intuition through engaging exercises that introduce them to exciting science topics!
Examples of previous clubs activities had included:
- Extending our sense of sight by building electronics.
- Learning the ecologic diversity of the host city.
- Creating new ventures based on local scientific developments to help their communities.
Check out our previous clubs in the Mexico YouTube Channel!
WHAT IS THE DESIRABLE PROFILE OF A INSTRUCTOR?
- Graduate students (preferably PhDs), Postdocs, and Professors from ANY nationality in STEM-related fields affiliated to research institutions or with previous research experience. Professionals in tech or biotech companies as well as entrepreneurs are also welcome to apply!
- Teaching experience recommended.
- Be willing to immerse yourself in different cultures.
- Strong communication skills with a focus in teamwork.
- Diverse and exciting club proposal!
DO I NEED TO SPEAK SPANISH TO PARTICIPATE?
Speaking Spanish is not a requirement. But, we strongly recommend that the club is in Spanish. Exceptionally, we might considered a club only in English. However, we do encourage you to try to immerse yourself in the culture and tradition of your host city.
- CdeCParaguay organizes clubs mostly in Spanish and students are notified ahead of time to increase their appealing to take your Club.
- Spanish is recommended as it facilitates interaction with instructors from Paraguay, however we will try our best to match you with someone able to translate in case necessary.
- You may need the language in case you want to impart a Club in collaboration with an instructor who only speaks Spanish.
HOW DO I BECOME AN INSTRUCTOR?
- First of all, you must wait for the launch of the call for instructors in our website. Here!
- Fill out your application in which you will describe your “Club” proposal.
- Wait to hear from us!
IMPORTANT DATES FOR INSTRUCTORS
- March 1th: Open call for international instructors.
- April 1th: Close call with the deadline at 23:59 hr (Paraguay time)
- 2nd Week of April: Skype call to talk about Club proposal details (only when CdeC Paraguay admissions team has an important question)
- 3th Week of April: Instructor admissions notifications.
- 4th Week of April: Last day to confirm participation as instructor (Selected Instructors only).
WHY ARE YOU CALLING FOR APPLICATIONS FOR TWO EDITIONS AT THE SAME TIME?
Most of the time, sponsors want to know which workshops we’re developing before we close a deal. We are thinking ahead of time here!
HOW CAN I IMPROVE MY POSSIBILITIES TO BE SELECTED?
Some suggestions to improve your chances:
- Focus on exciting, super awesome activities, non-traditional to a conventional classroom! Use experiments and programming, apply critical thinking, and help students to appreciate new approaches to tackle problems.
- Think of an innovative science topic that you would like to teach, and think about it creatively. This is your opportunity to design a course you would have wanted to receive while in high school or college!
- Simple activities that help students to understand advanced scientific concepts in your field. The Higgs Boson as an energy piggy bank, viruses as infiltrating agents, entropy in a salt shaker, etc.
CAN I PARTICIPATE IF I’M STUDYING IN EUROPE OR IN OTHER PART OF THE WORLD BESIDES THE US?
Yes! However, if you are selected, CdeCParaguay can cover a round trip flight cost of USD $1.300. If there is a remaining amount it can be covered by a institution that could potentially sponsor you. Most of the time, your university is willing to take that expense if you can explain what this wonderful science outreach initiative entails!
See you in July!
*Adapted from C. Márquez, S. Cantú, H. Arellano, P.Hernández, P. Andrade, members of the CdeCMx team.